Thursday, May 31, 2007



Well, no deep thoughts today, just a little about my morning. My wife got called in to teach this morning so I found myself without wheels - that is, not including the 2 bikes hanging in our garage...the ones we got at garage sales. At least they should get me to work, right? That's what I was thinking last week as I peered up at them…should last the summer. Ya, I've been meaning to get back in shape and this is a great way to do that! OK, I'm going to start riding to work, I thought!

So, I went out and bought a helmet and hopped on my bike, ready to conquer this new, but fun, challenge. It was then that I realized that my brakes were shot. The pads were fine but the cables needed adjustment. Harumph! At that point (last week) Liz was still at home and was able to take me to work, so hey, no worries, right? Right. That's OK, I thought, I'll take the bike in for a tune up. That's cheep. And then I'll be ready to go!

Enter today. As we lay in bed early this morning after a call from the school district office I thought, How am I going to get to work? Aha…take the bike to the bike shop this morning, then go to work!! So, I got all my things into a backpack (I’m not used to reducing like this…but it’s a good challenge) and then hopped onto my bike…well, actually, I walked beside my bike (remember the brakes) down to the bus. The bus arrived within 15 minutes and after a little tugging and pulling and then reading what I needed to do I put my bike on the bus’ bike rack making sure to secure it (thoughts of it popping off and the bus running over my precious filled my mind). 15 minutes later I was downtown at the interchange and I thought, “it’s just a straight shot to the bike store…no hills”. So off I went, carefully riding down the street, being careful I didn’t need to make any sudden stops!

Then, within 15 minutes I was at the bike store – all happy that I was now going to be able to ride my bike regularly! This elation fizzled quickly when the guy in the repair shop (though he did not show it, I know he thought this machine was far beneath him) told me that the tune-up would be $40 labour (plus parts if necessary) and the new seat would be $50+ (I felt that as I rode to the store). Then as I described what I would be doing with it (riding up and down the hill, to and from work), he said that my beautifully polished aluminum wheels and the simple cable braking system would not be that safe. He said, You could do it, but... Woah! I hadn’t planned on replacing everything, I just wanted a cheep little tune-up! My mind went to the prices I’d seen on the bikes upstairs. $1000+ for bikes? You’ve got to be kidding! I’ve never even paid $100! Do you have any used bikes, I said. Well, it turns out they have a few and there’s one there that looks like it could really do the trick and it’s going for $200! Why should I be so excited? It’s more than double what I’ve ever paid for a bike!! But it’s a fraction of the cost of other bikes. Well…I’m still thinking about it. I’ll probably cave in and buy it. But it needs a new seat too! Argh!

Anyway, after I extricated myself from their clutches (they still have my bike), I decided to walk to work. Finally, 15 minutes later, I was at work…sweat glistening on my brow (ya, right) and soaking through my shirt. Hot day! Great start! Hmmm.

But I got to thinking about what I can learn. Well...
1) as those great theologians, the Stones, say, “you can’t always get what you want”. How do I handle inconvenience or adversity? Do I allow myself to get terribly wound up because things haven’t worked out the way that I wanted, or can I realize that God may have another plan and do I ask him what that might be? He knows what we need and his way is better. I don’t know what His will is regarding my bike and transportation yet, but I’ll keep asking.
2) I need to survey the land a little more before I put up the building. Take the bike down to the shop on the weekend and ask if this is road worthy. This is good planning. Planning, not worrying. Ah, we live and learn.
3) I think the biggest thing is that I need to slow down sometimes. This morning was lived in 15 minute increments with lots of time to think as I sat on the bus, ride to the bike shop, waited to have my bike looked at and walked to work. I so often rush from here to there only thinking of productivity. I am not downplaying being productive, but how much time do I take to think, pray, meditate? Not enough, I must say.
Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. (Luke 12:22-23)
Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God. (Matthew 4:4)


Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

It looks like you had some relatively deep thoughts at the end there. I just picture you leaving the church with armfuls of stuff and I'm really rather amused by the idea of you trying to get it all in to a backpack. :P

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home