Friday, June 08, 2007



Well, I just thought I should give an update on how things were going with the bike because people have asked. I went back to "Spokes" and picked up my bike and took it over to the Bicycle Cafe (I think that's what the name is) as their tune up cost is cheeper and, from everything I've heard, do a good job. Anyway, I'm going to pick up my bike this afternoon and am hopeful that it should be ready to ride. The plan to ride to work is back on line! I decided not to buy the $200 bike (from Spokes) as the upgrade costs (new seat needed and few other things) would have costed up to $100 extra. So it's back to my beloved garage sale bike! Here we go!

You know what I found interesting as I walked into the Bicycle Cafe? Before I sheepishly brought in my poor bike I went into the store I went in to scout out the land. How much are the new seats, how much are tune ups, and (I thought about this one) do I like working with these people? The financial stuff was important to me, but the last one was what I was really getting at.

I've realized something about myself recently. Quality, connection and relationship is more important to me than price. I go to Safeway not because of the price (because they are arguably more expensive) but because I love the layout of the store, per unit pricing, quality of the produce, and personel. I had to think about this. Is it being extravagent? Hmmm. I came to the conclusion that we all have choices to make regarding the resources we've been given. And our choices reflect our values. So, it really is in line with my values. Believe it or not, this is not an ad for Safeway! It was just the place where I started to think about what I value.

So what does this have to do with the bike shop? Well, I got along really well with the people in the shop and they didn't come across as hot shots. They didn't look down on my bike as one which deserved only to live in the junkyard, but helped me to make it the best it can be. I'm still going to need to get a newer bike if I take this seriously, but for now I appreciate their help with my baby.

So what have I learned from all this? I think there's one main idea...

...My choices spring from my values. So, how does this affect every area of my life? We can really look at this in two ways - one looking at the cause and the other, the effect. What do I mean?

1) (Looking at the effect)

I think if we look at our choices closely we'll be able to see what we value in life. Why do we choose to spend that money on one thing or another? Or maybe more importantly, why do we spend our time on one activity over another? I think this can help us to see where we're really at rather than what we wish were the case.

2) (Looking at the cause)

If I look at my faith and the real life-changing nature of it, how does this affect change in every area of the life I lead? I think this is an important question for us to ask ourselves, not just when we're in the church building but when we're in the bike, meat, or computer shop. How does this incredibly good news that the kingdom of God is here affect every area? Am I looking around me each day to see where the one true God is active? Am I reflecting His values? Wow, so many questions...

Lord God of heaven and earth...and the one who is my Father...you know my heart and understand how values are worked out in my life. Holy Spirit would you fill my thoughts with the thoughts of my Saviour Jesus Christ and may my every action resemble his nature!

Matthew 7:16By their fruit you will recognize them.

John 15:4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Good thoughts, Mr. Mike. Also, I just had to say that I feel the same way about Safeway. Even when I was working at Superstore (or maybe especially then :P)

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home